About the School
Public School 69 is located in the Soundview section of the Bronx. A school inGood Standing with New York State, it is among the top elementary schools in New York State. P.S. 69 has been the recipient of an “A” rating on the Progress Report for the past five consecutive years, placing it in the top 20% of elementary schools in New York City. Additionally the recipient of a “well developed” evaluation consecutive Quality Reviews.
The mission of P.S. 69 is to serve all students in a nurturing and academically rigorous environment. We stress the importance of a student-teacher-parent connection because we believe it is the simplest and most effective way of providing guidance and support to all our students. We strongly believe that our children can develop in a supportive and invigorating educational setting. Our primary goal is to prepare our students intellectually, culturally, and socially for entry into middle school and college while discovering the myriad of talents and skills they possess; to become independent learners that understand the value of hard work. We believe in “Educating Minds and Hearts.”
Official School Hours and Contact
The official school hours for students are:
Mondays through Friday: 8:10 A.M. - 2:30 P.M
Our Mascots and Name
Those who search out knowledge are on a constant journey. It is what we learn along the way and the people who we meet who help us learn many lessons about life. These lessons can include who we are or who we want to become. Here at PS 69X Journey Prep, we are are all on a journey. Our students, teachers, and community are continuing their journeys constantly learning, revising and moving forward.
Data Reported from New York City Department of Education
To develop lifelong learners who are problem solvers and critical thinkers.
PS 69 Journey Prep Cell Phone Policy
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Mayor De Blasio has changed the official policy on cell phones in schools. As part of this new policy the Department of Education is directing schools to set forth their own policy as to when and where cell phones and other personal electronic devices may be used throughout the school day.
After consultation with the School Safety, Student Government, Parent Association, and the School Leadership Team, we have agreed on the policy outlined below. All key stakeholders agreed that, given our school’s access to portable technology, the introduction of cell phones in classrooms, etc. was not necessary. This new policy is very similar to our current policy, laid out in the Parent Handbook, with only minor adjustments.
- Phones are allowed in school but should not be seen or heard in school. This includes timers, alarms and any other noises. If a student’s device is seen or heard it will be confiscated.
- If a device is confiscated, the school will return the device to a parent only.
- The use of electronic devices and cell phones are not allowed under any circumstances. If a student needs to contact home for any reason, they will be permitted to use the phones in the Main Office.
- PS 69X Journey Prep and the DOE are not responsible for lost or damaged electronic devices. You bring these items to school at your own risk.
- Students will not be permitted to use electronic devices during lunch, recess, or any other free period.
- Electronic devices may not be turned on or used during fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Use of an electronic device during an exam or other assessment, even just to check the time, is considered academic dishonesty and will be handled as outlined in the Parent Handbook.
- Electronic devices may not be used in bathrooms.
As always, we remind students that these devices often invite the attention of individuals with the desire to steal them when displayed in public places to and from school. Students must be aware of their surroundings and keep these devices in their bags.
Please review this information and be sure that you are familiar with these guidelines.